The Bruges town militia
The militia is mainly composed of heavy infantry and archers. The infantrymen carry pikes and goedendags and
always fight in close order. Each fold has a number of "coningstavelryen" or constabularies which each count about 20 serjeants, 6 horses and
2 wagons. Such a unit is commanded by a "coningstavel" or constable. The town council pays for the horses and wagons, but the common
serjeant would hardly receive a penny. At the battle of Courtrai, the number of infantrymen supplied by the town of Bruges is estimated to have
been about 3.000.
Archers are armed almost exclusively with the crossbow. In 1302, Bruges disposes of a contingent of sixteen
constabularies, each having around 19 archers, 10 servants and two wagons. The town has an artillery force totalling 320 crossbows supported
by 160 servants carrying the pavises (big shields to take shelter and reload the bow) and ammunition supplies. The archers form the elite of the
communal army and a member of the select Saint-George guild is paid a wage of 4/- per day, an amount very similar to the daily pay of a squire.
Town patricians with assets worth more than 300 Flemish Pounds are required to own their own horse, weapons
and armour. These upper class patricians form the communal yeomanry, but this cavalry force does not appear in the town's accounts for 1302.
It is therefore estimated that the town's cavalry was not present during the battle of Courtrai or the campaign that followed the victory.
The headquarters of the town militia was composed on the members of the town council, together with a number
of trumpeters and servants. The trumpeters took care of the communication during the heat of battle. Their numbers are estimated to have been
around 60. This means that during the battle of Courtrai, Bruges had a total of approximately 3.000 soldiers on the battlefield, almost ten percent
of the town's population.